Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bandages, Bandages, Bandages

My daughter has recently become allergic to the adhesive and the latex in bandages. So when she gets a boo-boo, we have to wrap her in gauze. After a while, it got a little bit too expensive! There had to be a cheaper, greener way. And there is! Knitted bandages! I'm making her a few kits for home, school, and her traveling bag. So far I've made 3 lengths. One to wrap around once for small boo-boos, one to wrap around twice and one to wrap around three times. I'm also in the process of making some small finger sized bandages.  The best part about these bandages is that they are totally washable so they can be used again and again.


I used size 1 double pointed needles. You can use regular needles as well. I like to use double pointed needles with small width projects because it's easy to take along with me.
At first I used mercerized cotton yarn like some websites suggested when making bandages. I felt that for what I needed them, it was still too thick. So I went with crochet thread instead. It was the perfect thickness that I needed. Here's a picture of it.
I cast on at 27 stitches, garter stitch, which made it about 2 1/2 in width, the typical width of rolled up gauze.  It was the perfect width for a 3 1/2 year old.  
Here is what the final product looks like. 


Here's a close up.



Here it is rolled up.



Here's my little munchkin modeling it for me.



First, I spread antibiotic ointment to the boo-boo area.  Then I put a little piece of gauze on top.  Then I roll the bandage on her and safety pin it.  It's pretty stretchable and breathable too.  
She loves getting all of the extra attention with her special bandages.

No comments:

Post a Comment